Sunday, November 13, 2011

History of Mom's treasured Danish coffeepot

A hand-written note inside tells the story.  The note is from Dagmar Olsen Faye to her niece, Blanche Thorsen Lawder (our Bano).


“Chicago, March 9, 1940
My Dear Blanche,
When I visited Petrea  ….berg in Copenhagen in Sept. 1892. In serving coffee after dinner, I admired her coffee pot. And she said it had been her Grandmother’s.  Petrea and My Mother [Emily Olsen] were 1st cousins and both born in May 1837.  When Mother and Father visited Copenhagen in 1895, Petrea gave Grandmother the coffee pot – with the request that she give it to her daughter, Dagmar Faye, with her love.  – Although Mother used it many years, she eventually gave it to me.  – and I have had many coffee parties and dinners when I have used it..   And I can [illegible]…It has given me great pleasure to be able to give it to you – and to know that you are enjoying it.  As I wanted someone to have it that remembered and loved Grandmother in her home.
Lovingly and Sincerely Yours,
Aunt Dagmar

No comments: